Theresa A. Appelbaum has been representing clients in the St. Louis metropolitan area for more than 20 years. As a partner at Padberg, Corrigan & Appelbaum, Teri focuses her practice on plaintiff’s personal injury, including wrongful death, automobile collisions, medical malpractice, workers’ compensation, construction accidents and premises liability. She is widely recognized for her experience in these practice areas and often authors publications and gives lectures on pertinent topics.
Committed to the legal profession, Teri volunteers for associations that aim to protect the legal rights of individuals, as well as maintain ethics and integrity in the judicial system. She is a member of the Board of Governors of the Missouri Association of Trial Attorneys where she serves on its charitable arm, the Board of Missouri Trial Lawyers Care, and as a co-chair of the Amicus Curiae Committee, which authors appellate briefs statewide on issues impacting the victims of injury or death due to the fault of another. Additionally, Teri is the treasurer of the Lawyers Association of St. Louis.
Teri attended the University of Missouri-St. Louis where she earned her B.A. in History, summa cum laude, in 1993. She then earned her law degree from St. Louis University School of Law, magna cum laude, in 1996. During law school Teri was elected to the Order of the Woolsack honor society and received academic achievement awards in the study of Evidence and Civil Procedure.
A native to St. Louis, Teri and her husband Paul and daughter Meghan live in St. Louis County. Teri is passionate about her family and her community. She is active in charitable organizations, including the BackStoppers and St. Peter Catholic Church in Kirkwood.
- In 2011, Teri received an $850,000 judgment for a woman who slipped and fell on a wet floor at work, suffering permanent nerve damage to her right arm. At the time, it was the largest recorded slip and fall verdict in St. Louis County and one of the largest in Missouri history.
- Litigated against Laclede Gas Company for natural gas explosions.
- Represented the mentally handicapped in complex neglect and abuse cases against State Facilities, Special School Districts, and private organizations.
- Litigated complex medical malpractice cases against accredited hospitals that allowed “never events” to occur, such as inpatient falls, bed sores, and air emboli.
- Litigated against insurance companies for bad faith refusal to provide insurance coverage.
- Handled complex product liability cases against manufacturers of defective products, such as medical equipment, dump trucks and hoists, and pharmaceutical products.
Professional & Community Involvment
- Missouri Bar Association
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Missouri Association of Trial Attorneys, Board of Governors
- Current Co-chair, Amicus Curiae Committee
- Current Board Member, Missouri Trial Lawyers Care
- Past Chair, CLE Committee
- Past Co-chair, Association Development Committee
- The Lawyers Association of St. Louis,
- Treasurer, 2016 - present
- Executive Committee, 2013 – 2016
- Former St. Louis University School of Law, Adjunct Professor for Trial Advocacy
- The American Association for Justice, Trucking Litigation Group
- The Women Lawyers' Association of Greater St. Louis
- Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis
Published Works & Presentations
- “Burden of Proof,” Chapter 3 of Missouri Evidence, 6th, Missouri Bar Continuing Legal Education Deskbook, 2016.
- “Fighting with Giants” The Missouri Trial Magazine, Spring 2016
- “Direct Examination of Plaintiff’s Expert Witness,” Missouri Association of Trial Attorneys, Summer Convention 2013.
- “The Importance of Taking the Treating Physician Deposition,” Missouri Association of Trial Attorneys, New Lawyers Section, October, 2011
- “Premises Liability Cases—Proving Negligence and Reducing Comparative Fault,” Missouri Association of Trial Attorneys, Women’s Caucus, July, 2011
- “Critical Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations,” American Association for Justice, Interstate Trucking Litigation Group, Winter Convention 2010
- “The Dangers of Sitting at the Bar,” The Missouri Trial Magazine, Spring 2006
- “Burden of Proof,” Chapter 3 of Missouri Evidence, 5th Ed., Missouri Bar Continuing Legal Education Deskbook, 2005
- “Public Relations and Community Image in the Era of Tort Reform,” Missouri Association of Trial Attorneys, Summer Convention 2004